Thursday 10 January 2013

When In Prison... Do As the Prisoners Do



So..... if you read the above post.... the English is nonsensical but the skin collection is indeed real.

The collection is housed at the Department of Forensic Medicine at Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland.
These tattoos are quite beautiful and stylized in accordance with the time period. A nice example of well preserved skin.

I am currently doing a psychology and anthropology double major. The more biology based social science courses really seem to "be my bag". Biopsych is wonderful.... I don't care what anyone thinks.... Mathematics is my downfall and I am terrible at it. Two courses I have LOVED during my post secondary experience are forensic anthropology and philosophy of sex and love, both at Camosun. I like brains and bones. My UVIC experience is not yet long enough to be picking and choosing favourites. Cognitive Psychology was quite enjoyable last semester. After my BA I would like to do a masters in either neuro psych, counselling, or occupational therapy. Writing an LSAT just "for fun" might also be in my future.

Upon graduating high school, I did a number of things. These things included working retail/customer service at many different types of places, cooking, learning to tattoo through an apprenticeship, and completing a certificate in graphic design. Food and body modification are still some of my favourite things/topics. I have collected some interesting modifications and perspectives on eating along the way. Not your typical vegan by any means.

I really hope to cover human and animal burials. Not only humans with animals but animals on their own. It interests me to think about the different values held by societies concerning specific animals. Archaeology of death for the oddities lover in me. The dead are fascinating. So many different perspective concerning death and dying exist that have changed through years of practice... how can someone not want to know this stuff? Its that child–like "ohhhh-ahhhhh" factor.

–Maia B



No comments:

Post a Comment